Tuesday, January 23, 2018

WHY I WRITE





http://amzn.to/2jZPtIR


https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/752162






The question posed is what will I be working on in 2018. At least, I think that's the question.  

A day late and a dollar short, and tonight I'm tired. I have an eye infection that won't quit and focusing on the screen is a challenge. A new year, but the same old struggle goes on in this ever so noisy, ever so material world. 

This old poem, written in the 1970's, used to be a pretty fair summation of what drove me when I picked up a pen, or sat down at my ancient IBM typewriter. 


WRITE
TO REMEMBER CLOSED
EYEBALLS 
WITH A PAISLEY LINER.

WRITE
TO STICK A 
WEDGE
INTO THE CLOSING 
NEON DOOR.

WRITE
AND HIT FATHER TIME 
ON HIS FLEETING HEAD
WITH A ROCK 
OF WORDS.

WRITE.  

Despite the age of the piece, it still (I hope) speaks. My focus was narrower in those days; I only dared to express myself through poetry.

Writing hasn't changed all that much for me over the years, even if what I do now is research people and places and then weave stories around them. All that writers have to work with, basically, are our own lives. That is, what we've experienced, or read or studied, and the rich (and sometimes) crazy trove of dreams and personal relationships. 

Even if we're transplanting all that into another time period, as historical novelists customarily do, we're examining the human condition. We're reaching out, person to person, trying to tell a story that will touch the hearts and minds of our readers.  





~~Juliet Waldron



Buy the books links:

All my historical novels @ Books We Love:


Fly Away Snow Goose:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/752162


http://amzn.to/2jZPtIR




"Juliet Waldron's grasp of time and period history is superb and detailed. Her characters were well developed and sympathetic."

"One of the better Richard III books..."


                                                 https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/563520

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you do write, Juliet. I have enjoyed your talents so much, especially with Roan Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Victoria. It's a compulsion we have, this service to the Great Patroness of the pen.

      Delete
  2. Echoing what Victoria said. I loved Roan Rose too and will read it again one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose is dear to my heart...she's the one, I think, I'm closest to, of all "my girls." Thanks my friend!

      Delete