Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Interview with Joan Donaldson-Yarmey


Wow - is it our sixth interview already?  If you haven't read the previous interviews, I would strongly suggest you do so.  There are some interesting tidbits, story teasers, and some funny stories shared in them.

Now we are moving right along to Joan Donaldson-Yarmey.

How long does it take you (on average) to write a book?  

For my historical novels it usually takes me about a year to write a book because I do a lot of research ahead of time and while I am writing it I am constantly checking my facts.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?   

I try to write every day. Mostly I write in the morning but if things are going very well I will write all day.

Do your characters seem to hijack the story or do you feel like you have the reigns of the story?   

I like to think that I am in control of my characters but usually I’m not. I was working on one of my mystery novels and wasn’t sure who of two characters had done the murder. Near the end a third character stood up and admitted to having done it. Sometimes my characters will do or say something that makes me wonder what that came from and what was I going to do now.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?   

I hike, read, travel, think about writing, plan my next book.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?   That I have an imagination that goes in many different directions.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?   

I have written seven travel books, four mystery novels, three young adult novels, two sci/fi, one holiday romance/comedy and now this historical novel for this Canadian Brides series. My favourite book is the one that I am writing at the moment. Sometimes I can’t wait to get back to my writing and into that world again.



What genres do you like to read?    

My favourite genres are mystery novels and historical fiction and non-fiction.

If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?  

I have traveled through the Yukon twice. I hiked the Chilkoot Trail in 1997, the hundredth anniversary of the Klondike gold rush. I fell in love with Dawson City the first time I was there and renewed that love the second time after my hike. I feel that in a past life I may have been one of the thousands of men and women who headed to the gold fields of the Klondike Gold Rush. That is one time period I would visit if given the chance.

Wow indeed!  With a love of the Yukon it is no wonder that Joan snatched up that part of Canada for her Romancing the Klondike.

As always, comments can be left for Joan ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment