Monday, December 12, 2016

Interview with Katherine Pym


Alrighty, up next is Katherine Pym.  You have to check out her uncommon talent.

How long does it take you (on average) to write a book? 

The characters and their story hold my full attention approximately a full year. 

What is your work schedule like when you're writing? 

I write every day if I can, from the time I get up in the morning sometimes all the way into the deep night. 

Do your characters seem to hijack the story or do you feel like you have the reigns of the story? 

I like to hold the reins of the characters, but sometimes, they say or do something that I don’t anticipate, although they remain in character. 

What does your family think of your writing? 

Strangely enough, most of my family won’t read my work because they say, ‘I still see Kathy, not the characters.’ My husband supports me in my research and he’ll beta read for me, which is very nice.  

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 

I write under both Katherine Pym (historical fiction) and Eleanor Stem (strange and unearthly stuff). Between the two of us I’ve written 9 novels. The Canadian Brides series, Pillars of Avalon, will be my 10th. 


Under Katherine, I’m very proud of Erasmus T Muddiman. While writing this one, I found some very apropos research material that I used. Under Eleanor, Miri’s Song came as a big surprise. I had never anticipated writing this one. One night after dinner, I felt compelled to put pen to paper, and this is the result. 

What do you think makes a good story?

Human interest stories where the reader can easily relate. That’s why I like to use the weather, how they feel walking down a lane, what they smell, how something feels in their hands. 


Who is your favorite author?

Conrad Richter

Open your most recent story to page 12 and tell us the fifth complete sentence on the page. 

Toward the poop deck David saw a man fitted in silk and ribbons who fought like a cornered animal.


What genres do you like to read?

Historical fiction, which includes time travel, but I’ve been ruined. So many authors’ history is not correct or it’s out of sync. 

Do you have any hidden or uncommon talents? If so, what are they?

Simultaneously, I can write with my left and right hands, backward with my left and forward with my right. 

What is the biggest surprise that you experienced after becoming a writer?

How much I like it, need it to fulfill who I am as a being. 

If you could travel through time to visit a special time period or famous person, what or who would it be and why?

I’d go back to 17th century London, primarily the decade of the 1660’s where so much happened in an amazing short time. It was filthy there, though. I’d have to be able to come back to the current time to shower and use the loo. 

Score another one for the visit to 17-18 century England.  

Do you have any pressing questions for Katherine?  If so ... leave them in the comments below.


1 comment:

  1. I'm half way through Erasmus T. Muddiman and am thoroughly enjoying it. Katherine successfully puts the reader in the picture she's painting, mud, smells, sunshine,the lot.

    ReplyDelete